Who Is a Prosthodontist?
A prosthodontist is a dental specialist who:
- Receives three years of additional training after dental school in a fulltime residency program
- Specializes in the restoration of damaged teeth and replacement of missing teeth
- Restores optimal function to your teeth and optimal appearance to your smile
- Manages jaw joint (TMJ) problems and concerns related to facial pain
- Provides prosthetic replacements for missing oral, head and/or neck structures related to cancer, trauma, or birth defects
- Specializes in the esthetic restoration and replacement of teeth.
- Additional training for prosthodontists is earned through a hospital or university-based program accredited by the American Dental Association. The training includes reviews of the literature, lectures, treatment of patients and laboratory experience in fabricating restorations.